comScore Reports Search Market Share, Bing Powered Search Gains, Google Drops
It’s that time of the month again, and comScore has revealed their search engine market share data, showing that once again, Bing-powered search grew and Google dropped. Hitwise has yet to release their latest search market share data as of yet.
For the month of March 2011, comScore reports that Google had a market share of 65.7%, Yahoo! with 15.7%, Bing with 13.9%. That meant together Bing powered searches accounted for 29.6% of the search market. comScore’s data indicated that for March 2011 Yahoo! searches dropped by 0.4 percentage points, with Bing gaining 0.3, causing a net loss of 0.1 percentage points for the two combined.
This month both explicit searches on Yahoo! and Bing grew, with Yahoo! at 15.9% (up by 0.2 percentage points) and Bing at 14.1% (up by 0.2 percentage points), giving the duo a combined market share of 30%.
Google, on the other hand, dropped by 0.3 percentage points down to 65.4%. Ask.com’s market share fell by 0.1 percentage points (to 3%), as did Aol’s (1.5%).
It appears as though Bing is continuing to gain on Google in the U.S. market, but it is unlikely Microsoft is making much headway in other parts of the world.
As soon as Hitwise reports their monthly market share results, I will be sure to post them as Hitwise includes a success rate (percentage of searches which require no refinement to find what users were looking for), which comScore does not.